El Museo Nacional de Lituania

El Museo Nacional de Lituania

El Museo Nacional de Lituania se compone de una serie de museos, todos ubicados dentro de las áreas donde alguna vez estuvieron los castillos de la ciudad. La única estructura sobreviviente de estos castillos, la Torre Gediminas, también es parte del Museo Nacional.

Dos de los principales lugares de exposición del Museo Nacional de Lituania son los Arsenales Antiguo y Nuevo de la ciudad, que en conjunto albergan una serie de exposiciones que relatan la historia del país hasta la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

El Viejo Arsenal se centra principalmente en la Lituania prehistórica a través de una vasta colección arqueológica y también tiene una exhibición medieval hasta el siglo XIII. Mientras tanto, el Nuevo Arsenal se reanuda desde el siglo XIII con el establecimiento del estado de Lituania y hasta principios del siglo XX.


Museo Nacional de Lituania

Lietuvos nacionalinis muziejus , los Museo Nacional de Lituania , es un museo histórico financiado por el estado en Vilnius, Lituania, fundado en 1855, que comprende varios edificios importantes y cuyas posesiones incluyen numerosos objetos y documentos escritos. El museo organiza y coordina excavaciones arqueológicas en Lituania.


El Museo Nacional de Lituania - Historia

Apertura simbólica del Palacio de los Grandes Duques de Lituania

La reconstrucción del Palacio de los Grandes Duques de Lituania es uno de los proyectos más importantes del programa del Milenio de Lituania. Esta residencia histórica reconstruida en el corazón de la capital de Lituania debería convertirse una vez más en el símbolo tradicional de la condición de Estado de Lituania y en un objeto de orgullo nacional. Debería convertirse en un centro de educación cívica, conciencia histórica y apreciación de la cultura material, para eventos ceremoniales estatales e información turística. También será una parte importante del complejo de museos de Lituania. La reconstrucción del palacio de Vilnius, autorizada por leyes del Parlamento y el Gobierno de Lituania en 2001 y 2002, es considerada por el público como importante para la conciencia nacional y la memoria histórica, para la restitución de las verdades históricas sobre la independencia de Lituania y Vilnius como su capital, por la regeneración del centro histórico de la ciudad, por ilustrar las raíces históricas y culturales de Lituania en el Gran Ducado de Lituania, un estado multinacional de lituanos, polacos, bielorrusos, ucranianos, judíos, tártaros, karaim y otras nacionalidades, y por mostrar el importancia de los lazos europeos de Lituania, históricos y actuales.

La reconstrucción y remodelación del palacio debía estar terminada y se iba a abrir al público en 2009, a tiempo para la celebración del Milenio. Pero debido a problemas financieros y organizativos, la residencia histórica fue en su mayoría reconstruida pero no completamente amueblada y abierta al público. Por este motivo, aún no se han instalado las exposiciones permanentes ni se han completado los espacios de atención al visitante. En enero de 2009, el Palacio de los Grandes Duques de Lituania fue designado Museo Nacional pero, nuevamente, no pudo comenzar sus funciones de museo - investigación, coleccionismo, exhibiciones, educación - en su nuevo hogar. Las exposiciones conmemorativas previstas para la inauguración del Palacio y el Milenio - Wawel en Vilnius: de los jagiellonianos al fin de la Commonwealth polaco-lituana (con el Museo de Arte de Lituania y el Castillo Real de Wawel), Lituania en Fuentes históricas antiguas (con el Departamento de Archivos de Lituania y otros), y Arte de los bálticos (con la Academia de Artes de Vilnius) - se mostraron cerca, en otro edificio importante del Castillo Inferior de Vilnius, el Viejo Arsenal, que ahora es el Museo de Arte Aplicado.

La ceremonia de inauguración simbólica tuvo lugar como estaba previsto en la Plaza de la Catedral y en el Gran Patio del palacio aún sin terminar el 6 de julio de 2009, el aniversario de la fiesta nacional de la coronación del rey Mindaugas. La bandera histórica de Lituania, un Caballero Montado (Vytis) en blanco sobre un fondo rojo, se izó sobre el ala sur del palacio. Esta bandera fue creada por el artista Arvydas Každailis en cooperación con el Dr. Edmundas Rimša, presidente de la Comisión de Heráldica de Lituania adjunta a la Oficina del Presidente de Lituania.

También se inauguró el ornamentado portal ceremonial del ala sur. Los grandes duques entrarían al palacio por esta puerta después de entrar en la ciudad por la Puerta de Rudininkai y luego continuarían por las calles Didžioji y Pilies. Este portal con su decoración y forma barroca temprana es uno de los principales acentos arquitectónicos del palacio. Fue recreado por los arquitectos del Design and Restoration Institute (Projektavimo ir restauravimo institutas), uno de los contratistas del palacio, y construido por la firma Kaunas Akmi. El arquitecto y restaurador Rūta Grigienė fue el que más contribuyó a la recreación de este portal.

El original de principios del siglo XVII. El portal, al igual que la reproducción, fue construido en piedra caliza gris por arquitectos, escultores y canteros de Italia: los hermanos Costante y Jacopo Tencalla. Antes de llegar a Vilnius, habían trabajado en Roma con el arquitecto italiano Carlo Maderno (1556-1629), uno de los padres de la arquitectura barroca. Los mismos maestros artesanos, que trabajaron en el palacio, también ayudaron a construir la impresionante Capilla de San Casimiro junto a la Catedral de Vilnius y el palacio, y trabajaron en la fachada de la Iglesia de Santa Teresa en Vilnius.

Tallada en letras doradas en el friso del portal recreado está la dedicación de esta residencia histórica como monumento al Milenio de Lituania. Millennio Lithuaniae MIX – MMIX.

Talladas en una placa conmemorativa de mármol rojizo y montadas en el frontón del portal recreado están las palabras en latín: Respublica est societas hominum uno Deo, iure, rege ad commune et privatum bonum iunctorum (un Estado no es otra cosa que una sociedad humana, cuyos miembros están sujetos a un solo Dios, una sola ley y un solo gobernante y en la que todos velan por el bien común y su propio bienestar). Estas palabras muy cívicas e históricamente importantes fueron escritas en el siglo XVI. por el famoso humanista, jurista, historiador y publicista católico lituano Augustinus Rotundus (1520-1582). Estudió en las universidades de Wittenberg, Ferrara y Padua, donde se doctoró en derecho civil y canónico (c. 1548). Después de trabajar durante varios años en la cancillería real de Cracovia, se trasladó a Vilnius (1551) donde fue nombrado magistrado jefe de Vilnius y secretario personal del rey y gran duque Segismundo Augusto. Tradujo el Segundo Estatuto de Lituania (Código de Leyes, 1566) al latín y fue uno de los editores del Tercer Estatuto de Lituania (1588). Realizó la mayor parte de su trabajo en el Palacio de los Grandes Duques. La frase en latín del portal es de su polémico panfleto Conversaciones entre un polaco y un lituano, en la que defendió el derecho de Lituania a un estado independiente, trató de probar la teoría romana del origen de los lituanos y promovió sentimientos patrióticos entre los ciudadanos del Gran Ducado de Lituania. Fue elegido por la profesora Eugenija Ulčinaitė del Departamento de Filología de la Universidad de Vilnius.

Numerosos altos funcionarios y dignatarios asistieron a la inauguración simbólica. Después de escuchar los discursos de bienvenida en la Plaza de la Catedral y ver el izamiento de la bandera histórica y la inauguración del portal ceremonial, atravesaron ese portal hacia el Gran Patio y se pararon en una alfombra roja para escuchar las canciones cantadas por el Coro Estatal de Kaunas bajo la dirección del Prof. Petras Bingelis y escuchar más sobre la reconstrucción y la historia del palacio de los guías del palacio.

Los dignatarios lituanos incluyeron: el presidente de la República de Lituania Valdas Adamkus y su esposa Alma, el presidente del Seimas de la República de Lituania Arūnas Valinskas y su esposa Inga, el primer ministro de la República de Lituania Andrius Kubilius y su esposa Rasa, ex El presidente de la República de Lituania y actual presidente de la Comisión Coordinadora de la Restauración del Palacio de los Grandes Duques de Lituania, Algirdas Brazauskas y su esposa Kristina, el presidente del Consejo Supremo de la República de Lituania (Parlamento), Vytautas Landsbergis y su esposa Gražina, así como otros funcionarios gubernamentales.

Entre los dignatarios visitantes se encontraban: el Rey de Suecia Carl XVI Gustaf y la Reina Silvia, la Reina de Dinamarca Margrethe II, el Rey de Noruega Harald V, el Presidente de la República de Polonia Lech Kaczyński y su esposa Maria, la Presidenta de la República. de Letonia Valdis Zatlers y su esposa Lilita, el presidente de la República de Ucrania Viktor Yushchenko, el presidente de la República de Islandia Olafur Ragnar Grimsson y su esposa Gudrun Katrin THorbergsdottir, la presidenta de la República de Finlandia Tarja Halonen y su esposo Pentti Arajärvi , el Presidente de la República de Georgia Mikheil Saakashvili y su esposa Sandra Elisabeth Roelofs, Enviada Especial de la Sede Apostólica y el Papa Benedicto XVI, ex Secretario de Estado del Vaticano y actual Decano del Colegio Cardenalicio Angelo Sodano, Primer Ministro de la República de Estonia Andrus Ansip y su esposa Anu, el Ministro de Cultura de la República de Bielorrusia Pavel Latushko, el Ministro de Defensa de la Fed alemana Franz Josef Jung, el Ministro de Cultura de la Federación de Rusia, Alexander Avdejev, y otros altos funcionarios invitados a la celebración del Milenio de Lituania.

La historia del palacio y su reconstrucción no solo fue contada por los guías, sino también con mucho entusiasmo por el gran partidario y entusiasta del palacio, el ex presidente Algirdas Brazauskas. Los miembros de la familia real sueca pasaron más tiempo en el patio, recordando a los herederos de la dinastía Vasa que habían vivido allí. Probablemente sea muy raro en la historia de la arquitectura mundial que quince monarcas y jefes de estado asistan a las ceremonias de apertura de un edificio. Esta ceremonia marcó el inicio de una nueva etapa de desarrollo del palacio.

El 7 de julio de 2009, el palacio abrió sus puertas a sus primeros visitantes, debido a los trabajos de construcción en curso, solo a grupos organizados. Durante el mes en que los trabajadores de la construcción estuvieron de vacaciones, más de 20.000 visitantes de Lituania y del extranjero, así como funcionarios del gobierno, pudieron vislumbrar partes del edificio reconstruido, ver las paredes originales y aprender más sobre los resultados de las investigaciones arqueológicas. y planes para futuras exposiciones didácticas y programas educativos. Un comienzo tan exitoso para el nuevo Museo Nacional - Palacio de los Grandes Duques de Lituania es muy alentador. Las antiguas opiniones negativas y muy politizadas de parte del público y los medios de comunicación comenzaron a cambiar cuando pudieron ver con sus propios ojos lo que realmente se estaba haciendo y lo que se planea para el futuro. Los visitantes estaban interesados ​​e intrigados. Esto nos da la esperanza de que este nuevo museo y residencia histórica se convierta en uno de los centros de cultura, historia, educación, información turística y eventos ceremoniales más importantes de la ciudad y el país. En un futuro próximo, con la financiación adecuada, el Museo podrá planificar y abrir exposiciones atractivas e informativas, debidamente abiertas al público, y comenzar su importante misión pública.

Un esbozo del desarrollo histórico del Palacio de los Grandes Duques de Lituania

Los hallazgos de la investigación de los últimos 20 años muestran que en el área donde una vez estuvo el palacio, entre la Catedral y el Castillo Superior, ya había personas que vivían en edificios de madera en los siglos VI-VIII. Con el tiempo, el asentamiento se convirtió en castillo. A partir de la segunda mitad del siglo XIII se inició la construcción de ladrillos en esta zona. Algunos investigadores sostienen que esto se hizo durante el reinado del rey Mindaugas (1236 / 1253-1263). Especialmente muchos edificios de ladrillo se construyeron durante los reinados de los grandes duques Vytenis (c. 1295-1316) y Gediminas (1316-1341) cuando la dinastía de la familia Gediminid estaba llegando al poder. Desde principios del siglo XIV, en el lugar del futuro palacio, ya existía un castillo de ladrillo con muros y torres de ladrillo fortificado, así como otros edificios a lo largo de los muros y en el patio central. Este pequeño castillo inferior fortificado estaba ubicado dentro del gran conjunto del Castillo Inferior, que también fue fortificado más tarde por muros de ladrillo y torres. Con el tiempo, las murallas y las torres del pequeño castillo inferior fueron derribadas y reemplazadas por nuevas alas del gran palacio ducal.

Debido a la escasez y la naturaleza fragmentada de las fuentes escritas, y a la escasez de pruebas arqueológicas y arquitectónicas, es difícil decir qué iniciativas de construcción se emprendieron durante el gobierno de los grandes duques Algirdas (1345-1377) y su hijo Jogaila, gran duque de Lituania desde 1377, que se convirtió en Ladislaus II Jagiello, rey de Polonia, desde 1386, gobernando hasta 1434. Pero probablemente podemos deducir del hecho de que Jogaila se interesó activamente en las actividades de construcción en Cracovia que también estaba interesado en la construcción y el desarrollo. de sus castillos en Vilnius y en otros lugares. Sin duda, se llevó a cabo una mayor modernización de sus residencias en los Castillos Superior e Inferior de Vilnius. Alrededor del Castillo Inferior se construyó un muro de ladrillos con torres. Es muy probable que en el interior del Castillo Inferior también hubiera una residencia para los gobernantes.

Un documento de 1413 menciona que el Gran Duque Vitautas (que reinó entre 1392 y 1430) vivió “in castro inferiori Wilnensi en caminata lignea”, en el castillo inferior de Vilnius en una sala de madera con chimenea. Después del incendio de 1419, reconstruyó los castillos de Vilnius y reconstruyó y amplió la Catedral, donde en 1430 planeaba ser coronado rey de Lituania. Hasta finales del siglo XV y principios del XVI, la residencia de los grandes duques en el Castillo Inferior tuvo que competir con residencias similares en el Castillo Superior y en el Castillo de la Isla de Trakai. Para mantener la integridad del Estado, los gobernantes viajaron por todo el país, sin quedarse nunca mucho tiempo en un solo lugar.

En este momento no hay suficiente información para determinar con precisión dónde residieron el Gran Duque de Lituania y el Rey Polaco Casimir Jagiellon (1440-1492 Gran Duque de Lituania 1447-1492 Rey de Polonia) y su esposa, Isabel de Austria (Habsburgo), residieron durante sus frecuentes visitas a Vilnius. También les gustaba quedarse en el castillo de la isla de Trakai. Se ocuparon de la construcción de los castillos de Vilnius y financiaron la construcción de una capilla real en la Catedral de Vilnius (1474).

Cuando Alexander Jagiellon, hijo de Casimiro, se convirtió en Gran Duque de Lituania en 1492 (también Rey de Polonia 1501-1506), la vida en los castillos de Vilnius cambió radicalmente, aunque hay poca información al respecto en fuentes escritas. El hecho de que Alejandro residiera en Lituania, las crecientes necesidades administrativas de su vasta finca y nación, y su matrimonio con Helena, la hija del Gran Duque de Moscú Iván III (reinó 1462-1505) - todo requirió la expansión de su residencia a satisfacen no solo las necesidades domésticas, sino también las crecientes necesidades ceremoniales. Es por eso que se cree que a finales del siglo XV Alejandro comenzó a reconstruir el antiguo castillo medieval amurallado (dentro del Castillo Inferior) en un palacio gótico tardío que satisfaría sus nuevas necesidades y requerimientos. La residencia principal de los gobernantes probablemente se transfirió del Castillo Superior al Castillo Inferior, lo que facilitó la vida y el gobierno.

Como muestran los restos de las piedras fundamentales en las alas sur y este del palacio actual, la residencia de Alejandro probablemente consistía en dos alas en forma de "L". Tenían dos o tres pisos de altura. En el patio, cerca del ala este, probablemente había galerías cubiertas de madera sostenidas por columnas de ladrillo muy fuertes. Al oeste y al norte, esta residencia en forma de "L" estaba rodeada por las murallas del castillo medieval anterior. Los hallazgos arqueológicos revelan que en el interior de esta residencia había estufas decorativas de azulejos de cerámica vidriada y pisos de cerámica vidriada multicolor. Los pasillos fueron abovedados con nervaduras hechas de ladrillos moldeados. También se utilizaron ladrillos moldeados para formar las arquivoltas y jambas de entrada. Los muros, bóvedas, nervaduras y jambas de entrada se enyesaron y cubrieron con frescos decorativos policromáticos.

A principios del reinado del Gran Duque de Lituania y Rey de Polonia Segismundo el Viejo (1506-1548), hermano de Alejandro, varios grandes incendios arrasaron Vilna y el palacio. Según el testimonio de uno de los mensajeros de Bona Sforza, duquesa italiana y esposa de Segismundo el Viejo, entre los incendios de 1520 y 1530 se llevó a cabo una extensa reconstrucción de los castillos de Vilnius, incluidos los salones ceremoniales de las alas sur y este de la palacio. Esta reconstrucción costó 100.000 ducados. La parte reconstruida no resultó dañada por el incendio posterior. Quizás esta complicada y costosa reconstrucción estuvo relacionada con las ceremonias que tuvieron lugar allí en 1529, cuando Segismundo Augusto, hijo único de Segismundo el Viejo y Bona Sforza, fue proclamado Gran Duque de Lituania.

El palacio continuó ampliándose y remodelando. Segismundo el Viejo y Bona Sforza agregaron una torre de tres pisos con viviendas en el extremo norte del ala este. Todo esto fue realizado en estilo renacentista, pero se desconoce el arquitecto principal. Se sabe que el arquitecto y escultor Bernardino Zanobi de Gianotis de Roma o Florencia trabajó en el palacio. El arquitecto renacentista florentino Bartolomeo Berrecci, que fue uno de los principales arquitectos del castillo real renacentista de Wawel, visitó Vilnius para obtener la aprobación de Segismundo el Viejo de los planos de la Capilla de Segismundo en la Catedral de Wawel. El cantero Benedict de Sandomierz (o Benedykt Sandomierzanin), que había trabajado para Segismundo el Viejo en Cracovia, también trabajó para él en Vilnius. Tanto Berrecci como Sandomierzanin podrían haber contribuido a la reconstrucción del palacio de Vilnius. El trabajo de construcción fue supervisado por el ingeniero alemán y cuidador del Castillo Inferior, Ulrich Hosius (Ulricus Hosius).

La piedra se utilizó por primera vez para enmarcar las ventanas, un conglomerado de textura gruesa de Bystrica (40 km al este de Vilnius). Las superficies rugosas se cubrieron con una capa de yeso antes de pintarlas en varios colores. Los interiores de las habitaciones renacentistas estaban amueblados con elegantes estufas de azulejos hechos de azulejos vidriados de varios colores con adornos florales, criaturas mitológicas y alegóricas, escenas didácticas, así como los escudos de armas de los gobernantes lituanos y polacos de la dinastía Gediminid-Jagiellonian, la familia Sforza. y la nobleza lituana. Los pisos también se cubrieron con azulejos de cerámica vidriada de colores similares.

En 1539, se menciona un jardín cerca del palacio. Bona Sforza dio órdenes de construir una escalera desde los apartamentos de sus damas de honor hasta el jardín. Uno puede conjeturar por el diseño del extremo occidental del ala sur, la escalera de caracol en la pared de la habitación del extremo y la torre con un retrete que los apartamentos privados de los gobernantes durante los tiempos de Alejandro Jagiellon y Segismundo el Viejo eran en el segundo piso en el extremo occidental del ala sur. Los salones ceremoniales podrían haber estado en el tercer piso, si se construyó para entonces, o en el segundo piso, donde se unen las alas sur y este. Aquí, junto a la escalera, se encuentra la sala más grande del segundo piso, que, hasta el siglo XVII, fue el lugar de grandes celebraciones y representaciones. En los registros escritos se le conoce como la sala del "piso inferior". Probablemente fue durante este tiempo cuando el Renacimiento italiano de arcos abiertos palazzo-se construyeron galerías tipo en el patio a lo largo del muro del ala sur.

Una nueva fase de expansión del palacio renacentista está asociada con el gobierno de Segismundo Augusto (1529-1572 el Gran Duque de Lituania 1548-1572 el Rey de Polonia). En 1544 fue nombrado vicegerente (gobernante de hecho) de Lituania por su padre Segismundo el Viejo y ese mismo año llegó a Vilnius con su esposa, Isabel de Austria (Habsburgo). Los trabajos de construcción masiva comenzaron inmediatamente en el palacio y los edificios auxiliares, siendo el período de construcción más intensivo entre 1547 y 1548. La construcción continuó hasta aproximadamente 1553. El objetivo de Sigismund Augustus era construir una nueva residencia (Domus Nova) junto a la antigua residencia de sus padres (Aula regia antiguo). Así surgieron las nuevas alas norte y oeste y se unieron con las alas sur y este más antiguas para formar un palacio con un patio cerrado. El Palacio de los Grandes Duques se convertiría en la residencia ceremonial de las dinastías Gediminid y Jagiellonian, el lugar de donde surgieron. Sigismund Augustus también construyó una residencia de verano en Viršupis (noreste de Vilnius) y tenía planes para reconstruir el castillo de la isla de Trakai.

El arquitecto principal del trabajo de construcción de Segismundo Augusto fue el arquitecto, escultor y cantero italiano Giovanni Cini de Siena. En 1534 firmó un contrato para renovar la Catedral de Vilnius y en 1545 se instaló en Vilnius. Le ayudó su hermano Bartolomeo, cantero. Otros que trabajaron allí durante varios años fueron: el arquitecto flamenco Frederik Unstherffe, el cantero polaco Benedict de Sandomierz y el arquitecto e ingeniero militar Job Breitfuss, quien se convirtió en el cuidador del castillo y supervisor en jefe de todos los trabajos de construcción de Sigismund Augustus. El carpintero jefe era Marcin de Polonia. Los interiores de las habitaciones fueron decorados por el escultor Donatus, probablemente de Hungría. Los frisos de las habitaciones y otras obras de arte fueron pintados por el maestro alemán Gerhard Sweiger, que vivía en Vilnius. Otros pintores fueron Anton Wiede, un alemán de Gdansk, y quizás el italiano Giovanni da Monte. El supervisor de la decoración de interiores era un húngaro, Michael de Kezmarok (ahora Eslovaquia). En ese momento en Vilnius había muchos artesanos locales lituanos y polacos (fabricantes de muebles, carpinteros, carpinteros, metalúrgicos y otros), así como orfebres, armeros, armeros, jardineros, expertos en sistemas de agua y otros artesanos y especialistas de Italia, Hungría y Bohemia. y Alemania.

Se utilizaron materiales costosos para las paredes del palacio. La piedra arenisca para los pisos de las habitaciones fue importada de Livonia y Suecia, la metalurgia de Polonia y Austria y el vidrio de Francia. Se siguió utilizando piedra de Bystrica. Se encontraron bastantes fragmentos arquitectónicos hechos de esta piedra durante las excavaciones arqueológicas en el palacio y en el área de los Santos. Iglesia de Ana y Bárbara, que Sigismund Augustus construyó como mausoleo familiar.

El palacio renacentista construido por Segismundo Augusto en Vilnius se convirtió no solo en un centro político, administrativo y diplomático, sino también en un centro de cultura y arte, y su influencia se extendió mucho más allá de la capital lituana. El palacio contenía una rica colección de tapices, pinturas y otras obras de arte, armas, armaduras, trofeos de caza y una enorme biblioteca, así como una colección de tesoros y joyas que impresionaron al legado papal, el obispo Bernardino Buongiovanni, quien luego difundió la noticia. de los tesoros que vio en 1560 en toda Europa. Este palacio fue testigo de la romántica historia de amor de Segismundo Augusto y Barbara Radziwiłł. El Consejo de los Lores y el Parlamento del Gran Ducado de Lituania se reunieron aquí. Los Estatutos de Lituania (el código de leyes del Gran Ducado de Lituania) se compilaron y editaron aquí. El Metrica lituano (registros de la cancillería del Gran Ducado de Lituania) se guardaba aquí, así como los tesoros de los gobernantes de Lituania y del Gran Ducado.

Después de la Unión de Lublin en 1569, que creó un estado conjunto, la Commonwealth polaco-lituana, el Palacio de los Grandes Duques, junto con las residencias en Cracovia y Varsovia, se convirtió en una de las principales residencias de los gobernantes elegidos conjuntamente de este nuevo Estado. El rey polaco y el gran duque lituano Stephen Batory (que reinó entre 1576 y 1586) pasó la mayor parte de su tiempo en la batalla y reconstruyendo el castillo de Hrodna (ahora en Bielorrusia) al estilo del Renacimiento tardío. Sin embargo, recibió al legado papal, el cardenal Ippolito Aldobrandini, futuro papa Clemente VIII (1592-1605) cuya bula de 1602 proclamó la canonización de San Casimiro, en el lujoso palacio de Vilnius. Batory también convocó allí las Convocatorias de Lituania. A finales del siglo XVI y principios del XVII se menciona que el cantero italiano Pietro Peregrino trabajó en los castillos de Vilnius.

El palacio continuó floreciendo durante el reinado de la dinastía Vasa sueca con nuevas iniciativas de construcción emprendidas por Segismundo Vasa (reinó de 1587 a 1632) y Ladislao (reinó de 1632 a 1648). El matrimonio de Catalina Jagiellon, hermana de Segismundo Augusto, con el duque de Finlandia y más tarde el rey Juan III (1568-1592) de Suecia tuvo lugar en el palacio en 1562 y allanó el camino para que la dinastía Vasa accediera al trono. de la Commonwealth Polaco-Lituana.

Después del incendio de 1610, el palacio fue reconstruido en estilo manierista del norte, como lo demuestran los hallazgos arqueológicos. Las reparaciones fueron supervisadas por el cuidador del castillo de Vilnius, Peter Nonhart, y el arquitecto y carpintero William Pohl. Leon Sapieha (1557-1633), Gran Canciller de Lituania, apoyó el proyecto de reconstrucción, que fue financiado por el Tesoro de Lituania. Una nueva fuente histórica muy importante para comprender la naturaleza y el alcance de las reparaciones y reconstrucción del palacio durante este período es el recibo del Tesoro del 31 de julio de 1631 emitido por el Gran Tesorero de Lituania, Stephen Pac, a Peter Nonhart por el trabajo realizado en el Lower Castle desde el 20 de marzo de 1624 hasta el 31 de diciembre de 1630. Este es el estado de gastos más extenso y detallado encontrado hasta la fecha.

La segunda fase del proyecto de reconstrucción comenzó en 1624 e incluyó la construcción de la Capilla de San Casimiro junto a la Catedral (1624-1636). El barroco italiano temprano fue el nuevo estilo dominante y fue introducido en Vilnius por los hermanos italianos Costante y Jacopo Tencalla: arquitectos, escultores y canteros. Anteriormente habían trabajado en Roma con el arquitecto italiano Carlo Maderno (1556-1629), uno de los padres de la arquitectura barroca. Se importaron varios materiales (arenisca, piedra caliza, mármol) para la decoración exterior e interior (marcos de ventanas, portales, hogares y pisos) de Suecia, Bélgica, los Países Bajos e Italia. En los techos se colocaron pinturas decorativas al óleo sobre lienzo (plafones) del artista flamenco Christian Melich. Sus marcos fueron tallados y dorados por Gabriel Lorentz. En las habitaciones aparecieron más estufas de azulejos de colores y nuevas pinturas. El palacio se convirtió en una lujosa residencia barroca para los gobernantes de la dinastía Vasa, donde se tomaron importantes decisiones políticas sobre las relaciones internacionales en Europa Central, Oriental y del Norte, donde se recibieron importantes delegaciones de muchas naciones europeas y de Oriente Medio.

En 1636, se representó en el palacio la primera ópera de Lituania: Il Ratto di Helena (El rapto de Helena). El libreto fue escrito y publicado en Vilnius por Virgillio Puccitelli, secretario de Ladislaus Vasa, y la música probablemente fue compuesta por el famoso compositor y director italiano Marco Scacchi, que trabajaba en Vilnius en ese momento. El palacio se convirtió en un centro de difusión de la cultura y el arte barrocos entre los nobles de Lituania y los dignatarios de la iglesia. La evidencia histórica y la localización de los hallazgos arqueológicos revelan que el piso con las antecámaras y la sala de audiencias principal del palacio (el piano nobile) durante la época de los Vasas fue el tercer piso del ala sur. Los hombres de la familia real tenían apartamentos en el ala oeste y las mujeres en el ala este. La Capilla de San Casimiro junto a la Catedral no solo era un lugar para guardar y adorar las reliquias sagradas, sino también la capilla real. La galería del segundo piso de la capilla estaba conectada al palacio por un puente corto. Como muestra la evidencia arqueológica, la cocina del palacio estaba en el ala norte.

En 1655 Vilnius fue atacada por el ejército moscovita y cosaco y ocupada durante seis años. Durante estos años, el palacio fue saqueado, devastado y quemado. Nunca fue reconstruido y nunca más sirvió como residencia para los gobernantes de Polonia y Lituania, a pesar de que la nobleza lituana a menudo instaba a que se reconstruyera el palacio para que su gobernante común pudiera pasar al menos un tercio de su tiempo allí. Incluso en ruinas, el palacio no perdió su significado simbólico o práctico para el funcionamiento del antiguo Estado lituano.

Durante el siglo XVIII, lo que quedó del palacio fue habitado por gente del pueblo y pequeños nobles. A finales de siglo se proyectaba establecer allí algunas comisiones estatales. Pero las particiones del Commonwealth pusieron fin a cualquier esperanza de que la histórica residencia de los gobernantes de Lituania recuperara su antigua gloria.

A finales del siglo XVIII y principios del XIX, a instancias de la administración zarista rusa, las ruinas del palacio fueron demolidas como símbolo visible de un estado caído, residencia de sus gobernantes y centro de gobierno. Comprender el significado de este simbolismo tan fuerte - la destrucción del Gran Ducado de Lituania y de la Commonwealth polaco-lituana - en el corazón de la capital de Lituania, artistas románticos (desde Pietro Rossi a Karol Raczyński, Józef Jerzy Oziembłowski, Marceli Januszewicz así como artistas desconocidos hasta Juozapas Kamarauskas) a lo largo del siglo XIX y en el siglo XX representaron la Catedral de Vilnius desde el sur junto con el inexistente Palacio de los Grandes Duques como un recordatorio de las dinastías Gediminid y Jagiellonian. Escritores e historiadores románticos como Teodor Narbutt, Józef Ignacy Kraszewski, Michał Baliński, Michał Homolicki, el prelado Jan Kurczewski y otros autores también recordaron el palacio en sus obras.

Investigación, reconstrucción y funciones

Se han realizado investigaciones arqueológicas esporádicas en el territorio del Castillo de Vilnius desde principios del siglo XX, pero el interés por el Palacio de los Grandes Duques se intensificó solo a finales del siglo. Ya en 1983 se planteó la idea de reconstruir el palacio en estilo renacentista y utilizarlo como galería de arte nacional. Se desarrollaron planes más concretos y consistentes para la investigación y la investigación del territorio y para la reconstrucción del palacio cuando Lituania comenzó a separarse del imperio soviético en 1987.

The first investigations were carried out by the Design and Restoration Institute (Projektavimo ir restauravimo institutas), later by the Lithuanian History Institute, and since 1993 by the specially established Castle Research Center Lietuvos pilys. For many years, this complex research program – combining archaeology, architecture, history and art history – was led by the archaeologists Dr. Vytautas Urbanavičius and Dr. Albinas Kuncevičius, the architect Dr. Napaleonas Kitkauskas, and the art historian Stasys Samalavičius, later by the archaeologist and geologist Eduardas Kauklys. Archaeological investigations were carried out by Gintautas Striška, Gediminas Gendrėnas, Dr. Gintautas Rackevičius, Egidijus Ožalas, Povilas Blaževičius, Ėrika Striškienė, Dr. Daiva Steponavičienė and others.

While the research work was going on, various ideas for the reconstruction of the palace and its functions were being floated. There was even an idea to house the Presidential Palace there. In 1999, at the request of the Minister of Culture, the director of the Lithuanian Art Museum, Romualdas Budrys, formulated the first guidelines and a vision statement regarding the use of the reconstructed palace as a multi-functional cultural, ceremonial, museum, and educational institution. In 2000, the Parliament of the Republic of Lithuania passed a law authorizing reconstruction of the Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania, and the following year the Government of Lithuania formally adopted a resolution confirming the conceptual plan for the reconstruction and use of the palace.

The architectural group of the Design and Restoration Institute, led by the architects Rimas Grigas (until 2008) and Ričardas Bitovtas (since 2008), won the bid to reconstruct the palace. The architect Audronis Katilius was appointed project coordinator and the longtime researcher of the Vilnius castles, Dr. Napaleonas Kitkauskas, head of research. Architect Vida Povilauskaitė coordinated the design of the interiors, while architect Rūta Klimavičienė and design specialist Jonas Gerulaitis worked on the exhibition spaces. The main design concepts of this group were the following. First of all, they wanted to conserve and display as much as possible of the authentic ruins of the palace and clearly delineate them from the reconstructions. They also wanted to reconstruct as historically accurate as possible the interiors of the historical residence, which would represent the major architectural styles prevalent during the life of the palace – namely, Gothic, Renaissance, and early Baroque. These interiors had to be adapted for the proper display of rare and valuable antique furnishings, for visitor traffic, and for ceremonial events.

The PST Construction Company (Panevėžio statybos trestas) with its designers and researchers was chosen to do the construction work. They formed a special subsidiary, Vilniaus papėdė, under the directorship of Aloyzas Bertašius, to do that work. The Vilnius Castles Directorate (Vilniaus pilių direkcija), under the direction of Saulius Petras Andrašūnas, was set up to act as contracting agent.

In 2002, the Ministry of Culture charged the Lithuanian Art Museum to draw up a plan for the reconstruction of the palace interiors, their adaptation to museum and education functions, and to put it in place by 2005. The outline of the plan – drawn up Romualdas Budrys, Vytautas Balčiūnas, Dr. Vydas Dolinskas and Aleksandras Kulikauskas – was presented to the Ministry in 2003. A separate division, later re-organized into a branch of the art museum, was established in 2004 to put the plan into practice. The first staff included Remigijus Černius, Daiva Mitrulevičiūtė, Dalius Avižinis, and others.

All of the work associated with the palace’s reconstruction was at first coordinated by the Ministry of Culture. Later, a special commision – the Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania Restoration Coordinating Commission – was formed and since 2006 led by the former President of Lithuania Algirdas Brazauskas. Already in 2005, the Commission enlisted the aid of several dozen of the best experts from Lithuania and abroad – art historians, architects, conservators, historians, and museum professionals. All of the institutions mentioned above work closely together and coordinate their activities. Lithuanian and foreign consultants have often been invited. Five research trips to other European historical residences, which could provide analogous or comparative type of information, were organized.

We received the most expert advice from Lithuanian historians, art historians, museum professionals, and conservators – such as, Dr. Edmundas Rimša, Prof. Eugenija Ulčinaitė, Dr. Rūta Janonienė, Prof. Mečislovas Jučas, Dr. Ieva Kuizinienė, Prof. Aleksandra Aleksandravičiūtė, Dr. Jūratė Trilupaitienė, Dr. Jūratė Senvaitienė, Dalia Valujevičienė, Rimvydas Derkintis, the artist Arvydas Každailis and many others. We also received help from cultural experts living abroad – such as the Lithuanian-Americans Prof. Paulius Kęstutis Žygas, Dr. Ramūnas Kondratas, and Beatričė Kleizaitė-Vasaris from our colleagues in Italy, such as the Director of the Castello Estense in Ferrara, Dr. Marco Borella our colleagues in Germany, such as the Director of the Dresden Residential Castle, Prof. Dirk Syndram from our many colleagues in Poland, such as the Director of the Wawel Royal Castle in Krakow, Prof. Jan Ostrowski, the Director of the Warsaw Royal Castle, Prof. Andrzej Rottermund, Prof. Jerzy Lileyko († 2009), art historians Jerzy T. Petrus, Krzysztof Czyżewski, Stanisława Link-Lenczowska, Dr. Kazimierz Kuczman, Piotr Jacek Jamski, and Dr. Meinolf Siemer, the architect and conservator Piotr Stępień and many others.

Since 2002, there has been an intense search for historical sources in Lithuania and abroad that would help document the palace and life in the Vilnius Lower Castle complex. Archaeological work and architectural research continues. Every year more and more new information and artifacts are found, which allow us to reconstruct and decorate the palace more accurately. As a result of our investigations and findings, we will be able not only to correct but in essence rewrite much of early Lithuanian history – that of the Gothic, Renaissance and early Baroque periods, especially when brick architecture was first introduced. We will be able to take a new look at court life and cultural development in Lithuania during these times.

A great deal of help has come from the Palace Restoration Foundation, which was established in 2000 and is now led by Algirdas Vapšys, Edmundas Kulikauskas, and Indrė Jovaišaitė. The Foundation not only raises money for the reconstruction of the palace in Lithuania and in the diaspora, but as opportunities arise, promotes the idea of the need for reconstructing the palace, organizes various kinds of public manifestations, and supports the palace’s publication program, the restoration of important artifacts, exhibitions, and educational activities. In 2005, the Foundation started raising money for the acquisition of important historical artifacts and furnishings for the interiors of the palace.

Reconstruction of the Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania officially began on May 10, 2002, and it was decided then that this reconstruction project could become one of the most important accents of Lithuania’s Millennium Programme – a memorial to the Millennium. In deliberating about the mission, purpose, and functions of the reconstructed palace, the conclusion was reached that the reconstructed historical residence should house a national museum that would serve multiple purposes: present the nation’s history and cultural heritage in its broad European context, educate the public, provide a venue for state ceremonial events, and serve as a tourist center. Such a national museum was formally established on January 1, 2009.

Exhibitions

In order to carry out the cultural and educational mission of the new National Museum – Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania, four tour routes related to the historical functions of the palace have been laid out. The first tour will acquaint the visitors with the very rich and important archeological findings – both the ancient ruins and the excavated artifacts. Employing models, iconographic materials from all over the world, and written labels, we will inform the visitors about the history of the palace and its architectural features. This exposition will be in the underground of the South Wing and in halls on the first and second floors of the South and East Wings. It will be a kind of archaeological and architectural preserve, where different kinds of communication media will be used to help contextualize and integrate those archaeological findings into a story of the historical development of the palace territory from the earliest times until its reconstruction today. Visitors will be able to use individual computer terminals to learn more about the history of Lithuania and its cultural heritage, about the Vilnius castles, about Lithuania’s rulers and magnates find biographical information about artists and other well-known cultural figures. This didactical exhibition will take up about a third of the museum’s exhibition space and will also recognize those who made significant contributions to the reconstruction of the palace.

The second tour will bring the visitors into the ceremonial halls, which have been reconstructed in such a way as to show the evolution of architectural styles – from the late Gothic to the Renaissance and the early Baroque. The goal is not only to show the evolution of architectural styles but also to describe the different functions that took place in each of the halls and rooms – guard rooms, antechambers, audience halls, chancellery offices, private apartments with private offices and bedrooms, and so forth – to show what life was like there. These halls and rooms are located on the second and third floors of the South, East, and West Wings. These halls and rooms will be decorated and furnished with authentic art objects from the 15th–17th centuries, of the type and style that could have been at the palace based on extensive research, as well as Lithuanian treasures. This particular tour will end in the hall representing the State and Grand Duke treasuries. This display of the interiors will consist of about 20 halls and will also take up about one-third of the museum’s space. These halls will also be used for cultural, musical, diplomatic, protocol, and other ceremonial events.

Both of these tours are meant to complement each other, giving the visitor a well-rounded view of the development of the palace, its role in Lithuanian history and culture as well as its political and artistic ties with the rest of Europe and Asia. Each of these tours will showcase different kinds of exhibits and will use different modes of presentation but together will form a duet. This is quite typical in many European castles and historical residences where time and the ravages of war have destroyed the original structures and their furnishings. The reconstructed buildings must compensate for that by serving more functions and telling a bigger story of the city, country, or state in which they are located. In this way, the mission of the National Museum – Palace of the Grand Dukes is similar to many others in Europe.

The other two routes are supplementary, special tours. The third tour is dedicated to the musical and everyday life of the palace. There will be a multipurpose hall for concerts, plays, exhibits, and educational programs. It will be a place for staging concerts and historical operas, for hosting conferences and seminars, and holding ceremonial events. It will be located in the northern part of the Northwest Wing. Historically, at least in the 17th century, this was where the palace kitchens were located. The fourth tour will lead visitors through the temporary exhibition center, which will meet international standards for traveling exhibitions. The major focus of the exhibits there will be European and Lithuanian material culture from the era of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In addition to traveling exhibitions, this will be a place for changing exhibitions – thematic, chronological or typological – from the Museum’s own large collection. This space will also be located in the Northwest Wing.

There will be place in the reconstructed palace for a tourist information center, a café-restaurant serving traditional national dishes and drinks, a bookstore specializing in the humanities, and a souvenir shop. The infrastructure for all of these and other visitor services will be located underground – under the Great Courtyard. Ticket booths, an information desk, coat-check room, an auditorium as well as toilets and other visitor amenities will also be located there. In this way we hope to maximize the amount of space for exhibitions and public programs. In addition, by locating the visitor terminal or vestibule under the Great Courtyard, we will be able to show some of the earliest ruins of the Vilnius Lower Castle walls. All of the four tour routes will begin and end there. In this way, the visitor will be able to plan his or her own visit to this historical residence and museum.

The collections of the National Museum – Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania, which will be displayed in the thematic exhibitions mentioned above, are being formed based on exhibition needs, the different functions of the museum, and the availability of historical objects. The archaeology collections (about 300,000 objects) are truly impressive and make up the bulk of the Museum’s collections. Most were collected during 1987–2009 by the Castle Research Center Lietuvos pilys. One of the most important and impressive collections is the 15th–17th century collection of tiles, especially stove tiles, which in terms of numbers and variety has no equal in Europe. The numerous architectural details found during the excavation of the palace form the basis for the recreation of the exteriors and the interiors of the palace.

In order to provide furnishings for the interiors, the Lithuanian Art Museum began in 2003 to collect furniture, tapestries, paintings and other art objects from the Gothic, the Renaissance, and early Baroque periods as well as Lithuanian treasures. The acquisition of most of these valuable objects was financed by the national government or the Palace Restoration Fund. Some were acquired as gifts. Among the highlights are: the 15th–17th c. collection of Italian, French, and German furniture the 16th–17th c. collection of tapestries, including the unique tapestry with the coat of arms of Sigismund Augustus glass goblets that belonged to Augustus the Strong, the Elector of Saxony, King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania and, a collection of rare books and maps related to Lithuanian history.

Some of the museum’s archaeological findings, furnishings, and other artwork have been on display since 2004–2005 in the Museum of Applied Art. They were also shown in traveling exhibitions in Germany (1992–1993) and Poland (2006–2007), where they were accompanied by catalogs or brochures.


National Museum Of Lithuania

Lithuanian National Museum is the oldest museum in the country which is located in buildings of the complex of Vilnius castles. Although it includes many subdivisions, the main 3 are the New Arsenal, the Old Arsenal and the Tower of Gediminas Castle. Thousands of people are passing by there every day and most of them do not even realize what curios and prehistoric relicts are kept in here.

History of Lithuanian National Museum started in 1855. Then an Antiquity museum was opened in Vilnius University by Lithuanian historian and collector graph Eustachijus Tiškevičius. Nowadays we can only imagine, what exhibits could have been exposed there as antiques more than 150 years ago! The museum then collected, preserved and exposed historical heritage of The Grand Duchy of Lithuania. However, after an uprising in 1863, Russians stopped the development of the museum and closed it for reconstruction.

The largest part of the most valuable exhibits was brought to Moscow. In 1965 the former Antiquity museum was opened as a public library. Only in 1918, one of the leaders of Lithuanian national liberation, Jonas Basanavičius on the ground of the former Antiquity museum started creating a museum of Lithuanian history and ethnography. This work was also interrupted by Poland occupants that took Vilnius city in 1920. Luckily, valuable collections were given to save for Vilnius University and according to these collections, in 1952 a famous culture historian Vincas Žilėnas formed a museum of History and Ethnography. In 1992 the museum was named as Lithuanian National Museum because the most important Lithuanian historical, archeological and ethnical relicts were brought there.

Nowadays more than 998 thousand various historical materials here are kept. In addition, the museum organizes annual meetings of researchers of history, what is more, annual archeological expeditions are arranged. There is a restoration center ( the museum have restored more than a half of all relicts saved in all Lithuanian history museums), a specialized library, an archive, a photo laboratory, specific Lithuanistic departments . It is obvious that besides its` large collection of historical exhibits, the Lithuanian National Museum also involves an entire complex of past investigation. The main purpose of the Lithuanian National Museum nowadays is to popularize and develop historical self-awareness. In order to implement the purpose, various activities and events are held there , moreover, special historical journals publishing the newest researches are printed.

los Lithuanian National Museum has many subdivisions, but the main 3 are located really close to each other. In the New Arsenal there is the history of the Old Lithuania exposed (13th century - 1795). The Ethnic exposition involves Folk art and home comforts of Lithuanian rustics of the 18th-19th centuries. The exposition located in the Old Arsenal is proud to have one of the biggest archeological expositions in Europe called “Lithuanian prehistory”. There unique exhibits of Balts` culture reflecting Lithuanian culture from 11th century before our era until Lithuania formed as a country in the 13th century. The Tower of Gediminas Castle includes an impressive collection of armament of 14th-17th centuries , models of complex of Vilnius castles. There is also an observation square on the top of the Tower of Gediminas Castle where visitors can admire wonderful views of Vilnius panorama opening. By the way, on the base of Gediminas hill there is an elevator working every day 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM (5:00 PM). People can reach the top of the hill in a few minutes and also admire the views of Vilnius city through glass walls only for 2-3 litas.

Opening hours:
The New Arsenal : May 1 – September 30, Tue – Sat - 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Sun -10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
October 1 – April 30, Wen – Sun – 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
The Old Arsenal: May 1 – September 30, Tue – Sat - 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Sun -10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
October 1 – April 30, Wen – Sun – 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
The Tower of Gediminas Castle: May 1 – September 30 - every day 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM
October 1 – April 30: Tue – Sun 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Entrance: 2-5 litas


Lithuanian heritage in Pennsylvanian Coal Region

The strongest presence of Lithuanian heritage is in the parts of eastern Pennsylvania known as the Coal Region. Coal, the oil of 19th century, was discovered there in the 1860s. People from poor European regions were recruited for hard and dangerous work (10 hours a day, 6 days a week, 25 ct wage per hour) living in the newly erected towns. Lithuania was at the time occupied and heavily persecuted by the Russian Empire, giving rise to emigrants known as "grynoriai" ("Free Air Men") for whom the conditions in Pennsylvanian mines were far better than persecution back in their agricultural homeland, where the Lithuanian language had been banned and serfdom abolished only recently (1861).

Memorial plaque for Little Lithuania in the Southern Coal Regi

The Coal Region ran out of coal but the towns remained, in many of them Lithuanian populations still in their hundreds. There are lavish Lithuanian churches built of the hard-earned money by the early settlers and large Lithuanian cemeteries with their typical massive tombstones. More than 40 churches were built there. However, Lithuanian mass is no longer celebrated and Lithuanian dedications (Our Lady of Šiluva, Our Lady of Vilnius, St. Casimir, St. George) are largely removed where they existed, especially during the church closure spree of

2008. After all, the Coal Region Lithuanian communities, unlike those in major cities, were not replenished by new immigrants and English language became dominant in the communities over some 4-5 generations. However, Lithuanian inscriptions, Lithuanian history-inspired church interiors and exteriors still remain where the churches are still used for religious purposes. It should be noted that Lithuanian church attendances were growing until at least 1980, contrary to regional trends.

'Shrine of Lithuanian history' in a Lithuanian-American church. From left to right: American, Lithuanian, and Vatican flags the Soviet Genocide painting the Mary painting in a folk-craft frame the TV tower painting the cross with images of those killed in January 13, 1991.

The Coal Region of Pennsylvania consists of two large areas.

los Southern Coal Region is centered around Shenandoah, a town that used to be known as "Vilnius of America" in the early 20th century. The area is important not only to the Lithuanian-American history but to Lithuanian history as a whole: in Shenandoah, the world's first Lithuanian novel was printed ("Algimantas" by V. Pietaris in 1904 when Lithuanian language was still banned back home), Lithuanian miner orchestra and other cultural institutions, newspapers, existed. Shenandoah had Lithuanian mayors for 42 years and it has 6 Lithuanian cemeteries. In general, Southern Coal Region consists of many small crumbling ex-mining towns, each of them having some 500-5000 people and a regular grid of streets. 15 of those towns had Lithuanian churches (despite them being just a few kilometers from each other) and many had Lithuanian cemeteries and massive schools. Some still exist, some are destroyed or abandoned. Lithuanian Days, the oldest annual ethnic festival in the USA, takes place in the area since 1914. The 20 miles wide area surrounding Shenandoah hosts many Lithuanian villages. In Seltzer (pop. 307) Lithuanians make 27,46%, in New Philadelphia (pop. 1616) - 16,97%, in Cumbola (pop. 382) - 15,06%. Lithuanian populations surpass 9% in the area's towns of Minersville (pop. 4686), Mahanoy City (pop. 5725), Barnesville (pop. 2076), Frackville (pop. 8631). All these locations are in top 20 US locations by the share of Lithuanians. Among these 20 as much as 16 locations are in Pennsylvania, 15 in the Coal Region. Much of the area is with Schuylkill county which, with 5% of its population Lithuanian, is the most Lithuanian county in the USA.

1950s postcard of Shenandoah churches (Lithuanian St. George church on the right).

los Northern Coal Region is much urbaner than the Southern Coal Region: essentially, it is one large conurbation of over half a million people, covering the cities of Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pittston and more. These cities each have 1%-4% of their population of Lithuanian ancestry (Pittston has the most with 4,15% Lithuanians, making it the largest share of Lithuanians in a US city of comparable size). There were 14 Lithuanian churches in the area, as well as numerous large cemeteries and impressive monuments. The Northern Coal Region Lithuanian buildings are generally bigger than the southern Coal Region ones, as they served larger urban communities rather than smaller rural ones. There are also 4 surviving-and-open Lithuanian clubs, each some 100 years old (however, these clubs, while celebrating their Lithuanian past, now tend to accept all patrons). The most unique Lithuanian site in the area is the Lithuanian national Catholic church that is independent of the Vatican. The area also has Lake Kasulaitis, which is a Lithuanian-named lake that is the furthest away from Lithuania.

A fire-hydrant colored in Lithuanian colors near the Pittston Lithuanian club

Kasulaitis is also among a minority of surnames among those of Lithuanian Pennsylvanians which are still written as they are written in Lithuania. By the time immigration to Pennsylvania took place, there was no standardized Lithuanian orthography yet and the immigration service transcribed the surnames using various orthographies, including English, Polish or created ad hoc they either added or removed word endings at will. Therefore in the Shenandoah Lithuanian cemetery, you may see surnames such as Bakszis and Bakszys (the modern Lithuanian spelling is Bakšys), Kutchinskas and Kutchinsky (modern Lithuanian: Kučinskas), Abrachinsky and Abraczinsai (modern Lithuanian: Abračinskas).

The grave of Publisher Bočkauskas family in Mahanoy City Lithuanian cemetery

All over the Coal Region, there are possibilities to descend into the mines Lithuanians worked at and visit museums that present authentic and quite sad life as it was.

A distant Lithuanian outpost away from everything else in Pennsylvania is another coal town of DuBois, that has Lithuanian church and cemetery.


Buy a Brick:Honor a Loved One

The engraved gold and silver ‘bricks’ or plates on the Balzekas Museum Honored Benefactor Wall and inscribed in the Bronze Benefactor Album recognize donors whose generosity has contributed to the Museum’s growth and ongoing success. Pay tribute to your own or a loved one’s name and Lithuanian heritage while supporting the Museum. Buy a Brick today!

FILL OUT THE BUY A BRICK FORM:

Add Your Voice to our Oral History Project!

In celebration of 150 years of Lithuanian immigration to the United States, the Balzekas Museum is launching an exciting new project entitled: “Lithuanian Life and Landmarks in America”. Collecting and preserving oral histories of Lithuanian immigrants and their descendants throughout the United States is integral to this project. These histories and the Museum’s archives will be used to develop both physical and online exhibits as well as interactive maps and tours documenting where and how Lithuanian Americans lived, worked, studied, prayed, and played.

To ensure the history and contributions of Lithuanian Americans are preserved for future generations, the Balzekas Museum invites Lithuanian immigrants and their descendants throughout the United States to fill out the following questionnaire:

The Balzekas Museum programs and operations are partially supported by grants from the Illinois Humanities, the Illinois Arts Council Agency, the Lithuanian Foundation, the City of Chicago, DCASE, Lithuanian Ministry of Culture, and Museum members and donors. The Balzekas Museum gratefully acknowledges these individuals and entities for their support.


The Lithuanian National Museum of Art, Lithuania

The Lithuanian National Museum of Art, a member of ICOM, has been a national museum since 1997. Having a public institution established in 1907marked the beginning of its history. The museum has valuable collections of fine art, applied arts and folk art as well as a rich library, an archive and a photo archive. Since 2009 it has been responsible for organizing and coordinating digitization activities at Lithuanian museums and functions an approved administrator and a recognized national training center. For this purpose, the special branch Lithuanian Museums’ Centre for Information, Digitization and LIMIS was established in 2009.

img. J. Bułhak | Didžioji Street – Vilnius (Lithuania), July 1944 © Lietuvos nacionalinis dailės muziejus / The Lithuanian National Museum of Art.


Remodeling and New Exhibits

The museum is currently renewing the building’s 120,000-square-foot west exhibition wing while the museum’s center core and east wing remain open. The west wing renovation plans add new galleries, an education center, interior public plazas and performance spaces as well as modernizing the infrastructure in this section of the building. A new panoramic window on the first floor offers a sweeping view of the Washington Monument and connect visitors to the National Mall’s landmarks. The wing’s first floor opened in July 2015, the second floor opened in June 2017, and the third floor is next to open.

Each floor now has a central theme: The first floor focuses on innovation, featuring exhibits that explore the history of American business and showcase “hot spots” of invention. Find education spaces like the Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention, The Patrick F. Taylor Foundation Object Project, the SC Johnson Conference Center and the Wallace H. Coulter Performance Stage and Plaza. The year-old second floor focuses on the theme "The Nation We Build Together." The central question of this gallery is “What kind of nation do we want to be?” The Greensboro Lunch Counter is one of the artifacts housed on this floor, along with exhibits about the history of citizen participation, democracy, immigration and migration. The third floor will highlight culture as an essential component of the American identity.


Some Lithuanians didn’t spend New Year’s Day recovering from the previous evening’s festivities and took to the streets to vandalize a street sign and the National Museum in an attempt to rehabilitate Lithuania’s leading World War II-era Nazi ideologue and activist Kazys Škirpa.

On January 1, 2020, vandals placed an adhesive sticker over the street sign for Vilnius’s small central Trispalvė (Tricolor) Alley proclaiming it K. Škirpa Alley, the name it had for a decade until the Vilnius city council changed it early last year in response to repeated requests over many years. The reason the street caused controversy was that Škirpa was the leading Lithuanian Nazi ideologue based in Berlin who created the Lithuanian Activist Front, notorious in the Holocaust in Lithuania, and its governing organ, the Lithuanian Provisional Government, with Škirpa appointing himself tin-pot dictator or “prime minister” of the pro-Nazi government in exile, the pro-Nazi underground in what was now Soviet Lithuania and the “prime minister” of a future semi-independent pro-Nazi Lithuania liberated by Nazi Germany and a belligerent fighting on the side of the Axis in World War II.

Škirpa’s proponents prefer to ignore all that messy stuff about World War II and the Holocaust and point instead to his one non-controversial action: on January 1, 1919, he and a group of Lithuanian volunteer soldiers hauled the newly-created Lithuanian flag, the tricolor, up Gediminas Hill, at the base of which the alley in question lies. It would be the moral equivalent of modern Germany erecting a sign proclaiming Alexanderplatz is now Adolf-Hitler-Platz to honor Adolf’s status as a German World War I veteran, never mind what came later. In fact the Vilnius city council in an act of very precedented obsequiousness did allow Škirpa’s apologists and would-be rehabilitators to post a plaque under the new street sign, Tricolor Alley, whitewashing Škirpa’s real biography in favor of his imaginary status as Lithuanian hero. A small group of picketers also held signs on January 1, 2020, reading: “Tauta savo didvyrius žino!” or, “The nation knows who its heroes are!”

Vilnius city administration director Povilas Poderskis told Baltic News Service the sticker was removed Thursday, January 2, and said the incident would be reported to police as an act of vandalism.

“The sticker has been removed, and we will contact the police because this is just an act of vandalism. At least from the administration’s point of view, this is wanton, and it is defined in several articles in the criminal code. This is in contempt of the decision made by the Vilnius city council and it’s the council who decided the names of streets, not just whoever wants to gets to decide,” Poderskis told BNS.

That same day, Thursday, January 2, the afternoon edition of the news program Reporteris on Lithuania’s Lrytas channel reported the city had contacted the police, and presented an interview with Antanas Kliunka who was called the chairman of the Šiauliai chapter of the Union of the Creators and Volunteers of the Lithuanian Military, dressed in full military uniform with medals and standing in front of Government House in central Vilnius. Kliunka said he and others would continue to vandalize the street sign, and he produced a rather large, rolled-up, professionally printed sticker from his pocket and unfurled it, revealing the inscription Škirpa Alley within the framework and to scale to the Tricolor Alley street sign, identical to the one the municipality had removed earlier that day.

Kliunka and his fellow apologists of Lithuanian fascism made good on that promise. According to the Lithuanian news website Delfi.lt, removed an identical sticker placed on the same sign on Friday, January 3, 2020. Delfi said the city municipality issued another complaint to law enforcement, and said the people behind both incidents had claimed on social media they placed the sticker there Thursday night. Delfi said the facebook page included photographs showing a portrait of Kazys Škirpa was also pasted on the wall of the National Museum and the Škirpa worshipers also left lit candles, flowers and a sign saying “There are many tricolors but only one Lithuania!” with miniature tricolor flags of different countries.

Rechristening Škirpa Alley Tricolor Alley took place in conjunction with the Vilnius municipality’s removal of another illegal Nazi shrine honoring Jonas Noreika, a granite plaque on the outer wall of the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences in central Vilnius. Noreika was active in the Šiauliai, Plungė and Telšiai areas during the invasion and consolidation of Nazi power in Lithuania. He was a local commander of the Lithuanian Activist Front, the pro-Nazi organization Škirpa established in Berlin under Abwehr instruction to ease the Wehrmacht’s invasion of the western territories of the Soviet Union during Operation Barbarossa. Noreika, besides rounding up Jews, imprisoning them in ghettos he established and stealing their property including real estate, also, according to the most reliable source available, personally ordered the mass shooting of at least 1,000 Jews in Plungė. Following the removal of the plaque, modern-day Lithuanian Activists held a protest with signs accusing the Lithuanian Jewish Community of being a Kremlin front, and then simply erected their own new and improved Noreika plaque, as ugly as any Third Reich military monument ever to see the light of day, at the exact same location, in broad daylight, with no response from the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences or the city of Vilnius.

The latest organized campaign to vandalize street signs and the National Museum in favor of a pro-Nazi version of history came just days after Lithuania’s Orwellian Center for the Study of the Genocide and Resistance of Residents of Lithuania publicized their latest “finding” Noreika had actually been a Righteous Gentile who saved Jews and organized a network of Catholic priests to hide Jews from the ghetto, the ghetto Noreika most likely commanded. The new evidence: court testimony or deposition from a United States immigration trial in Chicago in 1986 from a single uncorroborated source who couldn’t remember dates, the names of any Jews supposedly rescued by the network he allegedly set up at Noreika’s request and who said Lithuanians never killed Jews in Lithuania.

In Grant Gochin’s ongoing series of complaints, trials and correspondence with and against this so-called Genocide Center, Center director Teresė Burauskaitė not only cast aspersions on historical research Gochin commissioned regarding the facts in Noreika’s case, but went so far to allege Gochin possibly violated Lithuania’s criminal code and even the Lithuanian constitution by conducting this research. She called two of his scholars dilettantes who lacked history methodology because they weren’t trained and qualified historians (one, Andrius Kulikauskas, is a philosophy professor at a Lithuanian university, and the other, Evaldas Balčūnas, a seasoned researcher and writer on Lithuanian war criminals who has butted heads with the Genocide Center numerous times).

The Genocide Center director appears to have contradicted her own claims regarding the discipline of history and who is allowed to practice it. The latest “finding” on Noreika was written by one of the Genocide Center’s PR specialists who holds no degree in history, but is a qualified geologist. Commenting on controversy surround her “Christmas Eve present” to Lithuanian Nazi apologists, Burauskaitė said in an interview on Lithuanian Public Radio and Television December 23: “I myself am not an historian so for me inner conviction is very important … I set for them the criterion: do you yourself believe in the results of your research?” (Lithuanian public radio and television, December 23, 2019). Apparently not just the director and PR specialist lack history credentials at the state-funded agency for determining the truth about history, which goes a long way towards explaining the shoddy material they’ve issued over the years as “research.”

And apparently you don’t have to dig very deep to discover the “Lithuanian Deep State” position of whitewashing the Holocaust is rather shallow, despite all the intellectual and fantastic trench warfare and fall-back positions. It turns out it’s paper thin, or at least, the thickness of a sticker, most likely printed using Lithuanian state resources.

There is a deeper problem here for the people involved in this modern-day “Lithuanian activism.” While the Genocide Center can’t really pursue Grant Gochin for thought crimes and violating the Lithuanian constitution, one thing the modern Lithuanian constitution currently in force does say is that the territorial integrity of the Republic of Lithuania cannot be questioned. That’s a problem for those seeking to rehabilitate Škirpa as some sort of national hero.

At 1:30 A.M. on March 23, 1939, Lithuanian foreign minister Juozas Urbšys and Lithuanian ambassador to Germany Kazys Škirpa acceded to Ribbentrop’s demand Lithuania turn Memel/Klaipėda over to Germany in time for Hitler to arrive there on the pocket battleship Deutschland in the afternoon of March 23. Urbšys and Škirpa annoyed their Nazi masters by refusing to sign over Klaipėda for some six to ten hours (they arrived at the Foreign Ministry in Berlin in the afternoon and had signed before 2:00 A.M. the next morning). Hitler was seasick. Urbšys and Škirpa came to his rescue and saved the day for Nazi Germany by capitulating on time, so the naval flotilla wasn’t forced to engage any token Lithuanian resistance. The entire Klaipėda region was handed over without any resistance. At the harbor in Klaipėda the local Memel Germans association turned out, their leader stood to the right of Hitler at the podium (to Hitler’s left), people gave the Nazi salute and proffered flowers to the Nazi invaders. The naval (Kriegsmarine) operation (three small battleships and three accompanying vessels) was concluded by a fly-over of Luftwaffe fighter planes.

Kazys Škirpa was instrumental in making this happen smoothly, so the sea-sick Hitler could land easily and on time, and in time for Kazys Škirpa and general Stasys Raštikis, former defense minister in independent Lithuania, to receive the ablative quo part of the proverbial quid pro quo, an invitation to Hitler’s 50th birthday party on April 20, 1939, which they both attended.

Holocaust negation and distortion is a crime under Lithuania’s criminal code, but while celebrating the person responsible for handing Lithuanian territory over to the enemy probably isn’t technically a crime in and of itself, directors of state institutions and seeming Lithuanian military officers standing in front of Government House doing so at the very least violates the spirit of the modern Lithuanian constitution.


The National Museum of Lithuania Releases Two Books on Postal History

The National Museum of Lithuania simultaneously releases two new books on postal history.

First book, “The Post in Lithuania Before 1918: Parcels, Postmarks and Postal Markings” describes the development of the postal system in Lithuania in the 18th–19th centuries, the period from the Third Partition of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (1795) to the proclamation of the independent state of Lithuania in 1918. The second book, “The Post in Lithuania in 1918–1940: The Establishment and Activity of the Public Post, and the Issuing of Postage Stamps” focuses on the efforts to build an organised and efficient postal system of the Independent Lithuanian state, which successfully functioned in the general structure of the Universal Postal Union until the Soviet occupation in 1940.

The publications are the result of long-term cooperation between Julija Normantienė (National Museum of Lithuania) and the well-known collector Vygintas Bubnys.

A detailed presentation and review of the books will be published in the next issue of LPS Journal.

The official release of the books takes place in Vilnius at the National Museum of Lithuania (Arsenalo g. 1) on September 18, 2014. The books, priced at 160 LTL (ca. $60) for both, can be purchased at the admissions desk. Later these books will be sold at the museum store.

The event on Thursday also features two award-winning philatelic exhibits by Dr. Bubnys: “Lithuania: airmail to and from foreign countries” and “Lithuania 1918-1937.”

Bibliographical data:
Series: “Muziejus ir kolekcininkas”
Book (4): “Paštas Lietuvoje iki 1918 metų: siuntos, antspaudai, žymos”
Authors: Vygintas Bubnys and Julija Normantienė
Language: Lithuanian
Hardcover: 339 pages
ISBN: 978-609-8039-48-1
Publisher: Lietuvos Nacionalinis Muziejus
Year: 2014

Series: “Muziejus ir kolekcininkas”
Book (5): “Paštas Lietuvoje 1918–1940 metais: valstybės pašto kūrimas ir veikla, ženklų leidyba”
Authors: Vygintas Bubnys and Julija Normantienė
Language: Lithuanian
Hardcover: 582 pages
ISBN: 978-609-8039-50-4
Publisher: Lietuvos Nacionalinis Muziejus
Year: 2014

Shipping cost
The weight of both books is 4.224 kg (9.32 lbs). Shipping charges therefore will be substantial, depending on the destination:

UK – 101.24 LTL ($37.63)
France – 78.11 LTL ($29.03)
Germany – 84.97 LTL ($31.58)
Russia – 104.57 LTL ($38.87)
Australia – 255.98 LTL ($95.14)
Canada – 156.13 LTL ($58.03)
USA – 154.50 LTL ($57.42)


Ver el vídeo: 20 CURIOSIDADES sobre LITUANIA